Monday, April 6, 2015

Long time cryptologist ends a great run at 28 years. Decides not to make Navy a career.

Got the news today that my long time colleague and generally awesome Naval officer, Captain Bryan Lopez has decided not to make the Navy a career and is packing up his oars after 28 years of very strong and persistent rowing - mostly against the tide.  He will retire in August 2015.

Interviewed in his San Diego office by one of our intrepid  blog reporters, the Captain "reportedly" said, "Hey, I've given the Navy a fair shot at making me happy, and after 28 years and dozens of chances, it's time to acknowledge that there's just no career in this for me. I've done all I can. It's time to give my kids a chance."  A Naval historian estimates that the Lopez family has devoted nearly 650 years of service to the Navy and that's not including distant cousins.

Seriously Bryan, if you are reading this (and I know you never miss a post) - CONGRATULATIONS and thank you for your service.  I agree with the community Flags, if you would have left San Diego - the Navy would have shown you much more love.

7 comments:

Mitch Murphy said...

Nicely done, CAPT Lambert! I first met Bryan when he was a 3rd class and made him iron the military creases in my uniform. Then he worked for me during countless combat recce missions over the Balkans. Say what you will about CAPT Lopez, but he makes a very mean cup of coffee!!
Respectfully,
Mitch Murphy
CTICM(SW/NAC) (ret)

Unknown said...

Nice working with you Mr. LOPEZ!!!

Bryan Lopez said...

Ha! Thanks, Murph! I knew the truth would eventually come out. Looking forward to more of your sea stories at the retirement!

Dave Clement said...

Congrats again Bryan. And Murph, there's a long list of CAPTs who worked for you over Bosnia (Lopez, Clement, Powers, Berg, Pauley, Segars, Burns...). I actually think you had more O-6 servants in Souda than there are O-6s in the entire Marine Corps.

James L. Hammersla said...

My family keeps asking what I want to do when I grow up; still working on the answer.

I have only met CAPT Lopez, very gentlemanly fellow. Good luck sir.

Bryan Lopez said...

Thanks again, gents and concur, Dave!

HMS Defiant said...

Thank you.