Monday, April 20, 2015

For my friend Jim Murphy - the writer


"You’re a writer. An artist. You write about things that matter to you and I’m sure you hope those things will matter to others, but even if they don’t you’re still going to do the work. That’s what artists do. It’s remarkable. But it’s more than that. It’s audacious. You don’t need recognition and approval. We might want it, and from time to time we may even wonder why we’re not getting more of it, but we: Don’t. Need. It."
Bryan Hutchinson


1 comment:

Jim said...

Thank you, sir. What a nice surprise on a groggy Monday morning.

I admit to a certain amount of frustration with the lack of recognition, but it's the recognition of the topics and the arguments that are important, much more so than the personal aspects.

It's hard to believe it's been nearly six years since "From the Deckplates" first appeared. One of the challenges, as we've discussed, is finding fresh, relevant topics. The support and encouragement from readers helps keep me inspired and in search of the next topic. You've been one of my biggest supporters and I do sincerely appreciate it.

V/R
Jim